Friday, May 30, 2008

To Blog or Not to Blog

Why the heck am I doing this? Who is going to read it anyway? Do I really want people to read stuff that I write? Am I just trying to empty some excess garbage out of my head to make room for something else, and if so, what might I start to collect?

I probably shouldn't be writing a blog. I could get in trouble if I say the wrong things about people - and I am always the person who gets caught talking trash about someone while they are walking up behind me.

Maybe I should be specific about what I will and won't write about here - I won't, for example, blog about people who annoy me at work - it's much too easy for people to figure out that I am talking about them. But, isn't that sort of the point of the faceless blog? You get to whine about whatever you want and no one knows it's about them - until they connect you with the blog and then the poop hits the oscillator...

I just read former Gawker editor, Emily Gould's New York Times Magazine article, "Exposed" and boy does that scare me. I lead a much more boring life than Emily ever will but to put yourself out there completely on your blog - why not just walk around naked? or wearing a sandwich board that tells people what you think of them and how many lovers you've had (and what you really think of them)?

Thankfully, I am insignificant and no one is going to be all that interested in what I have to say about things. So, I should just consider this a writing exercise to sharpen my wit and lose the cliches and not worry so much about who is(n't) watching. I'm willing to bet that if I actually do keep this up and try to write often, I will come back to this post and be really embarrassed by my own self.

No comments: