Sunday, June 8, 2008

Nursery School




Some of my fondest memories from early childhood come from the nursery school I went to before I started kindergarten. I was the only kid in my family to go to pre-school and I'm convinced that my mother did it because I was driving her nuts.

It all started because I wanted to be just like my big sister. Everyday she got to leave our house and go to school - totally not fair! I wanted to go to school too, even though I was only 3 1/2 or 4 years old. I stood at the door every morning as my sister left; I watched her go and I cried and cried. My mother had another baby at home to take care of and I'm sure that I was really annoying her. So, she sent me off to preschool.

I don't remember how often I went. I just know that I loved it. I wanted to go to school all the time. We did so many fun things there. I loved my teacher. We called her Mrs. Van. She had a very long, Nordic sounding name and I have no idea what it really was.

For years, my mother kept on her dresser a picture that I made for her while I was in nursery school. It was a cheap plastic frame that we had covered in glue and then dipped into little bits of colored gravel - like the kind you would find at the bottom of a fish tank. Inside the frame was a picture of me washing up in a vat of soapy water. I was smiling like crazy.

I remember taking naps there and I have a clear memory of this thought I had that it was really weird to have to lie down on a mat next to other kids to take a nap. I know I said that I wasn't going to sleep and Mrs. Van asked me to take a little rest - I'm sure I fell asleep - they always trick you with the, "just close your eyes and rest" thing.

I also remember that I learned how to put my coat on while I was at nursery school. They used the same technique that I now use to teach my daughter to put on her coat - we call it "the flip." You put the coat, arms spread open, on the floor. Then you stand at the top by the collar and stick your arms in the sleeves. You flip the coat over your head and voilĂ , your coat is on - or if you are an exuberant child like my daughter, your coat is on the floor, halfway across the room.

Just thinking about my time in nursery school makes me smile. It was a special place. Even if I did have my first experience with getting stitches while there. More on that later...

No comments: